ARTISTS PLAYED ON HOT PLATE INCLUDE

  • HOT PLATE! ARTISTS INCLUDE:
  • Bryan Ferry, the MC5, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Dolly Parton, Ben Webster, Big Sid Catlett, Bessie Banks, Smokey Wood and the Wood Chips, Frankie "Half-Pint" Jaxon, the Harlem Hamfats, Modern Mountaineers, the Prairie Ramblers, Big Bill Broonzy, Bix Beiderbecke, Andre Williams, Jason Stelluto, Poor Righteous Teachers, Johnny Thunders, Eugene Chadbourne, Derek Bailey, J Dilla, Tom T. Hall, Otis Blackwell, The Velvet Underground, Scotty Stoneman, the Alkaholiks, Stan Getz, Johnny Guitar Watson, Evan Parker, Steve Lacy, Dock Boggs, Min Xiao-Fen, Tony Trischka

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Sunday, June 25, 2017

SOMETIMES THE CHILDREN HAVE TO REMIND US THAT HATRED DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT RACE, SEX, OR POLITICS

  I'm at a diner with my son, eating grits. I'm reading the opinion pieces, and I notice that George Will is writing about baseball, rather than his usual topic, which is how painful it is for him when young leftists don't love free speech the way conservatives do. 
  Despite being exposed to baseball more than I'm exposed to sunlight, I still don't really feel comfortable weighing in on the Great American Pastime. So I figure I'll just tell my son to read the Will piece. And I'm about to tell him about it, prefacing my remarks with a little background on George Will. Then it occurs to me: not only is it not really fair to Mr. Will to prejudice my son against him right off the bat, so to speak, it's actually more interesting if I don't open with "here's what this erudite douchebag has to say," and instead allow Max to make up his own mind. Besides, George Will knows a lot about baseball, and how could his political leanings even be relevant here? Jesus, maybe I'll even learn something. So I read a few excerpts out loud with no preamble. 
  Max thought for a second, and then said, "Basically, George Will can go fuck himself." 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment