ARTISTS PLAYED ON HOT PLATE INCLUDE

  • HOT PLATE! ARTISTS INCLUDE:
  • Bryan Ferry, the MC5, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Dolly Parton, Ben Webster, Big Sid Catlett, Bessie Banks, Smokey Wood and the Wood Chips, Frankie "Half-Pint" Jaxon, the Harlem Hamfats, Modern Mountaineers, the Prairie Ramblers, Big Bill Broonzy, Bix Beiderbecke, Andre Williams, Jason Stelluto, Poor Righteous Teachers, Johnny Thunders, Eugene Chadbourne, Derek Bailey, J Dilla, Tom T. Hall, Otis Blackwell, The Velvet Underground, Scotty Stoneman, the Alkaholiks, Stan Getz, Johnny Guitar Watson, Evan Parker, Steve Lacy, Dock Boggs, Min Xiao-Fen, Tony Trischka

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Sunday, June 25, 2017

SONIC YOUTH VS. GRATEFUL DEAD

I'm doing research for a Hot Plate episode where I'd like a little input from friends. I'm planning a Grateful Dead vs. Sonic Youth episode. My premise, at least right now, is that both bands 
1. are dedicated to rock improvisation, even though they both have some standout compositions 
2. expanded the instrumental and ensemble language of rock, but for those who don't care for the results of their experiments, they're more likely to be described as crap. In other words, they're wildly overrated by their partisan fans, but unfairly dismissed by people that hate them. If you'd like to weigh in, please PLEASE follow my directions.
DIRECTIONS-- if you feel the need to post a smart ass comment, I'd prefer you don't. I'm looking for serious suggestions only. I'm focusing on the Grateful Dead's 1969 performances, because although that is obviously a tiny sliver of their live recordings, it's generally considered a high point for them, a lot of famous live shows are from that year, and most importantly, even limiting it to that year, I still have about 8,000 shows to choose from. For Sonic Youth, I have maybe three live albums. If a Dead fan wants to recommend any 1969 dates, or particular performances from those gigs, have at it. If a Sonic Youth fan wants to recommend performances from the handful of legit live albums, please do. If you are lucky enough to have any bootlegs of either band and would be willing to dropbox me some stuff, I'd be happy to check it out. I have a ton of Dead stuff, but many of the bootlegs I have are incomplete.
Anyone with serious suggestions they want to send me directly, please email me at karlstraub@hotmail.com. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment