ARTISTS PLAYED ON HOT PLATE INCLUDE

  • HOT PLATE! ARTISTS INCLUDE:
  • Bryan Ferry, the MC5, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Dolly Parton, Ben Webster, Big Sid Catlett, Bessie Banks, Smokey Wood and the Wood Chips, Frankie "Half-Pint" Jaxon, the Harlem Hamfats, Modern Mountaineers, the Prairie Ramblers, Big Bill Broonzy, Bix Beiderbecke, Andre Williams, Jason Stelluto, Poor Righteous Teachers, Johnny Thunders, Eugene Chadbourne, Derek Bailey, J Dilla, Tom T. Hall, Otis Blackwell, The Velvet Underground, Scotty Stoneman, the Alkaholiks, Stan Getz, Johnny Guitar Watson, Evan Parker, Steve Lacy, Dock Boggs, Min Xiao-Fen, Tony Trischka

TOTAL PAGEVIEWS

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

YELLOW FEATHERS IN HER HAIR, AND A DRESS CUT DOWN TO THERE

  This morning I was fortunate to hear Barry Manilow's "Copacabana." My reaction to this item from a far off time surprised me. "Copacabana," a song for which I've never had any affection, emerges in retrospect as a weird example of a very weird mini-genre-- the cautionary tale that you can dance to. And as terrible as this song has always seemed to me, it's hard not to embrace the absurdity of it. These days when I don't like a pop song, it's usually because it has a threadbare emotional landscape that I can't enter. But Manilow's undeniable gift for Pavlovian melody, coupled with an elaborate gaggle of session musicians elaborately bringing the AM funk, pulls me in like quicksand.
  I think the Hot Plate Radio Panel, after we exhaust ourselves commentating on the political scene, may have to turn to more serious matters-- the dissection of this bizarre record, which is equally infectious and tragic (not unlike leprosy).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment